Monday, September 25, 2006

Premiere Week!

First of all, a HUGE thank you to everyone who braved the downpour and came to the Wuthering High book launch at the Magic Tree Bookstore in Oak Park this weekend. And thanks to the fine folks at the Magic Tree Bookstore - you couldn't meet nicer people.

Now, on to more pressing events. Like what's on my Tivo.

So it's time for the fall television season, and that means that my husband and I have been fighting nearly nonstop about what, exactly, our Tivo should be recording. Now, I realize that for the sake of our marriage, we ought to buy one of those ingenious splitters (the modern marvels that let you tape more than one channel at once). But I’m pretty techno-ignorant, and my husband has an allergy to shopping of any kind. He won’t even buy his own khakis, asking me to order them online for him, instead.

One of my friends have said that the key to her happy marriage is the fact that they have two separate (but nearly equal in screen size and quality) televisions in the house, so that she can watch Desperate Housewives while her husband watches football. I can see the merits in this.

Because my husband won’t just disagree about what we should be watching, but he can’t help himself but making a running commentary like one of those people you want to strangle at the movie theatre.

“You HAVE to be kidding me – who writes this stuff?” he’ll exclaim just as Meredith and McDreamy are about to get it on Gray’s Anatomy. Or “I am physically in pain right now, and if I watch this any longer, I may go blind,” as Susan tromps around one of her neighbor’s bushes in Desperate Housewives.

Sometimes he has a point (“Why do you insist on watching Amazing Race just to see the couples argue? We could argue right now instead!”) but most of the time, he’s just a guy, and can’t understand why I like love triangles, neighborhood intrigue and hunky supporting guys like Patrick Dempsey.

Now, to be fair, I do my share of groaning, too, like whenever he insists on watching a) old westerns, b) the old original Star Trek with William Shatner or c) football. When it comes to his favorite viewing pastime this season, football, I’m pretty mild in my criticism – I just fall asleep on the couch.

This, however, enrages my husband.

“It was the fourth quarter, and the score was tied at 21! How could you fall asleep?!”

What can I say? The roar of the crowd and the nonstop drone of empty-headed commentators (who say things like “The team that showed up to play won today” as if the other team didn’t show up to play? What? They came to knit sweaters?) just lulled me right to sleep.

And don’t get me started on Star Trek. I thought I’d outsmarted him on this one: he’d taken up so much room on our Tivo recording old Star Trek shows, that last Christmas I bought him the box set of the entire three seasons. Unfortunately, then he proceeded to sit down and watch them. And he wanted company while he did so.

If I never see Captain Kirk seduce another green-skinned alien girl again, that’ll be fine by me.

So, this week, I’m going to find out about that whole Tivo splitting thing, if only to save myself a whole fall season lineup of arguments. Besides, after watching Desperate Housewives last night, I suspect it might just be good again this season!

5 comments:

Knitty Yas said...

lol @ you ordering his khakis. i cant even get nick to wear khakis. its either dickies or jeans. i don't mind the whole football thing since im kind of an addict to the game myself but damnit he has to back the hell off my tv when it comes to greys anatomy, house, or the new favorite Studio 60.

i draw the line at jean claude van damm movies.

Anonymous said...

I couldn't bring myself to watch DH the other night. The last season was such a disappointment, and the storylines for the season didn't interest me. You'll have to say how it's going. Maybe I'll get the DVD for this season if I hear enough good things :)

Anonymous said...

Hi,
My computer just did a weird thing so I don't know if you got the message I sent via your website - this may be a duplicate ! (I'm not stalking you, I swear. Bwahahaha...)

Just wanted to say thanks for the nice surprise of opening the mail and finding a book from you, courtesy of your guest stint at Literary Chicks ! Cool ! First thing I've ever won after visiting all these author sites !

I noticed the return address said Evanston - I wonder if that's anywhere close to Wilmette ? I went there once some years ago to visit the beautiful Bahai temple.

Cheers, Maya

caralockwood said...

Hi all!

Thanks for your comments - and I'll definitely be checking out your blog, Cher. Sounds like just the sort of thing I'd love to read.

And Maya, I didn't get your email! But, I'm really glad you won a signed copy of "I Did"! I hope it's the first in a string of winnings!

Anonymous said...

Cara, didn't know you had written a teen novel. I'll have to purchase if for our library; you know us, North Mesquite High School! Can't believe I didn't know about it and am very anxious to read it! Congratulations on all your success.