Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Happy Day-After-Memorial Day

So, I, like most of you, spent the weekend in somber reflection of the sacrifice of our veterans. And by somber reflection, I mean stuffing myself with an obscene amount of bbq, while awaiting word from Namibia about Brangelina's baby.

Thankfully, the Brangelina baby made an appearance, so now we can all stop obsessing about how the World's Most Beautiful Baby can never be president of the United States (being born on foreign soil). I mean, sure, the baby is being touted as the New Hope for Humanity's Gene Pool, but she'll never give a State of the Union address. Unless Schwarzenegger manages to get an amendment passed before Shiloh turns 35.

In other news, it's hot here in Chicago. And by hot, I mean that it is really freakin' hot. Now, I grew up in Dallas, where you could get third degree burns from your steering wheel if you were foolish enough to leave your car out in the sun without a windshield visor. So, I like to think I'm tough, but frankly, my condo is sweltering. I knew it was bad yesterday when my Yankee Candles started to melt without being lit first. The real problem is that I, like most Chicagoians, don't have central air.

Even my laptop is sweating. And that can't be a good thing. I tried to find refuge at the mall, but the closest one to me is an outdoor mall. I don't know what genius figured that was a good idea (Christmas shopping in three feet of snow, anyone?). Thankfully, Nordstrom is air-conditioned, and has all the major life support needs (food and drink at the cafe, shoe sales and an endless supply of beauty products). If they had a bedding section, I would've probably slept there.

I'm off to buy a Super Giant Big Gulp. I think maybe if it's big enough, I could try swimming in it.

Stay cool!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you should wear the chick lit label with pride. Any true student of literature knows that labels and certain movements in literature are for convenience sake only. It's just easier to group that way. There are few books that really fall into one category.

I've been working on my PhD, and I love your books. So there to the women writers who don't like the name "chick lit."

Anonymous said...

Oh, and by these certain writers even acknowledging the label chick lit, they are only giving their detractors what they want. No one can label you without your own consent.

It's upsetting to hear that Steinem said that b/c I've always been a fan of hers. Whatever:) I love Yeats, Dickens, Marian Keyes, and Cara Lockwood. So I'll just call myself well rounded. How's that for a label?

Keep writing those great books of yours!

Anonymous said...

Hi!
I just bought (and devoured) your Bard Academy book. I had a great time with it, and I hope you write many more in the series. I've always loved the idea of actually getting to interact with literary characters.
I was just looking around your site, and I noticed you grew up in the same town as I did! Congrats on having survived the Mesquite school system :-).
Oh, and for those of you still hoping for Presidential Baby Brangelina:
"A child born of U.S. citizens anywhere in the world is considered a natural born U.S. citizen and is eligible (for the presidency)."
http://library.thinkquest.org/11492/convention/requirements.html

Keep writing!
Alana

Anonymous said...

Where did you find it? Interesting read » »