Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Demon Middle Managers

So it's Wednesday. I thought I'd try something new. Like, every Wednesday I do a little something more in-depth about the characters in Every Demon Has His Day. So, you can get to know them a little better, and get the answer to that age old question: What the !@#$ was she thinking when she wrote that?

Yaman and Shadow

"Oh, hell on a stick," Yaman added, glancing down at his feet and noticing blood splatters on his toes for the first time. "I think I ruined my shoes. Dammit - these were my favorite pair!"

"What do demons care of shoes?"

"Are you joking? They're Bruno Magli's."



For those of you who haven't yet read the book (and why haven't you - it's been twenty-four hours since it's been in stores. HEL-lo). Yaman and Shadow are the middle manager-like demons Satan sends to earth to try to help him find the prophet who is going to foretell the coming of the antichrist who will help Satan take over the world (oh, yeah, and it's funny, too - doesn't that just sound like a comedy?). They're disgruntled, slightly inept, completely self-absorbed, and pretty much exactly like all my worst bosses over the years (you know who you are!).

Yaman and Shadow, unlike my previous employers, however, are my favorite characters. It turns out when middle managers are demons they are actually pretty funny. At least, I think so. Yaman is a Pride demon and Shadow is a Glutton demon, and the two don't see eye to eye on pretty much anything, especially how best to execute their assignment.

They were two of the first characters I created for Every Demon. I thought it would be funny to have demons - while evil - be disgruntled with their earthbound assignments in a way that middle managers at Chrysler might be (not that I'm saying Chrysler is an instrument of the devil).

So that's my little tid-bit for today. Read more about Yaman and Shadow in Every Demon Has His Day.

Buy it at Amazon.
Buy it at Barnes and Noble.

No comments: